databases [was: Re: Ruby Active Record]

Lynn Fredricks lynn at paradigmasoft.com
Thu Apr 20 18:52:58 EDT 2006

> > mySQL AB has done a thorough job of stating that any potentially
> > commercial use, you are going to have to pay their commercial fee.
> > This was considered very carefully in pricing Valentina.
>
> In my case, I have a for-profit client whose product goes out
> to non-profit clients of theirs. The MySQL licensing gets
> pretty dicey there. I don't pretend to understand whether
> anyone needs to buy a commercial license, what kind, and
> who's responsible for taking care of it.

Id pass the buck to whomever writes the checks ;-)

There are a couple of places I recall where it says something like "when in
doubt, send us money".

There are a lot of cool open source projects out there - one of my favorites
is Joomla. mySQL found a profitablity formula that works for them, and they
managed to ride the popularity of open source - I cant argue with their
success.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President
Paradigma Software, Inc

Joining Worlds of Information

Deploy True Client-Server Database Solutions
Royalty Free with Valentina Developer Network
http://www.paradigmasoft.com