databases [was: Re: Ruby Active Record]

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Thu Apr 20 15:30:35 EDT 2006

On 4/20/06 9:42 PM, "Russ McBride" <russmcb at tsw.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> Yeah, it seems crazy these days to actually have to *pay* for a
> database.

Wow. What an interesting point of view !!!  :-)
Hmm, why not say:
    it seems crazy to pay for Revolution or other RAD tools
    it seems crazy to pay for compilers
    it seems crazy to pay for MS Office
    it seems crazy to pay for Adobe products.

People. You ARE developers.
Please stop this evil and crazy ideas of free software!

It will throw programming industry into death.
Believe you into this or no.

I am related to universities, and I know that last 5 years many smart guys
which COULD be good and cool programmers (by their school activity) have
choose other specialty. Reasons? Simple:

A) They listen SUCH danger discussions about free software...
And they make conclusions...They do not want work in future for free.
So - NOT PROFITABLE.

B) today all major software exists. No chances invent and implement
something really new and cool. So - NOT INTERESTING.

This is why I have so wonder to read these words from Russ,
who have ".edu", even if it is berkely.edu

Russ, sooner or later even berkeley will start see reduction of egg-head
guys, if continue with such propaganda. Think about this...

I wonder that so many developer like to use for example free dbs, and other
software but still SALE own job and own products. Hmm. Somehow not honest?

IF you use e.g. free mySQL (which is not free btw!) then make YOUR software
free also. May be this will be a fair step? Why you think that your
application is at least 1 cent more valuable of mySQL or Postgre, which have
20-25 years of development story.

> But there are reasons why people still make decisions that
> allow Larry Ellison to by another small island in the Caribbean

IMHO Larry is a great manager first of all, like the Bill.
That explains all.

I believe that if you replace Larry by somebody else,
Oracle will start go down very fast.

Some people can sale everything.
Others are not able sale even gold in hands.

Just my 0.02 :-)

--
Best regards,

Ruslan Zasukhin