Checking if the network has changed

Dave Cragg dcragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Thu Apr 20 11:57:50 EDT 2006

Hi

I'm trying to find a reliable (ish) way to know if a computer is
connected to the same network as it was the previous time the
application was opened. The situation is for an educational program
that requires connecting to an internet server. Users may run the
program from work and/or from home. Connecting from work requires
using a proxy. My concern is with laptop users who use the same
computer to connect from both work and home.

I'd like to be able to have the program use a preconfigured proxy
setting when used from work, and no proxy (or a user-configured
proxy) when used from home.

Right now, I'm thinking of using the following to determine if the
network has changed since the last session:

    get hostNameToAddress(the hostname)

The idea would be to store the result between sessions, and compare
at each new session. If the values are different, ask the user to
confirm the location.

If anyone knows of any problems with this, or knows of a better
solution, I'd be grateful.

Cheers
Dave