Unicode

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Thu Apr 20 11:33:50 EDT 2006

Nicholas,

The way to enter unicode text into a field is to choose a non-Latin
input method using your OS's native tools. In other words, place your
cursor in the field, then switch to the language you want to type in
just as you would in any application. Revolution will automatically
set the textfont for you. Once you're done, the field's unicodetext
property will contain, well, the unicode text for that field.

The tricky part of using unicode in Revolution is not the entering,
but the subsequent manipulation of the unicode text--grabbing chunks,
moving it from field to field, saving, etc.

See my web site at http://revolution.byu.edu/unicode/
unicodeInRev.html for some notes on how to work with unicode. You can
see some working examples in my stack unicodeTrials.rev. Just enter
in the message box: go stack url "http://revolution.byu.edu/unicode/
unicodeTrials.rev"

HTH.

Devin

On Apr 19, 2006, at 7:32 PM, Nicholas Thieberger wrote:

> I am trying to enter Unicode in a field. I have set the 'use
> unicode' to true in a startup script as follows:
>
>   set the useunicode to true
>   set the textFont of field "Text" to "Gentium,UTF8"
>
> This has the effect of making all the characters in the field
> appear in a Chinese script. This is not my desired outcome!
>
> Any suggestions welcome!

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University