[OT] Cringely on BootCamp's future

Francis Nugent Dixon effendi at wanadoo.fr
Wed Apr 19 16:13:28 EDT 2006

Hi from Paris,

Just a minor point about Brazil, apart from it being the most
fantastic country. Anything that is imported into Brazil costs
an arm and a leg, due to exhorbitant import taxes. The basic
idea is, Buy Brazilian (even when it doesn't exist).

I remember arriving in Brazil to do a 2 week course, with my
course supports, and (because I have had experience with
African countries) carrying 20 note pads, 20 rubbers - sorry
erasers !, 20 pens, etc. for my students, not forgetting the board
markers in many colours.

They were all confiscated, because I was told that "all these things
exist in Brazil, so go out and buy them". The customs even wanted
to confiscate 19 of my 20 course supports on the basis that Brazil
had photocopying machines !! BUSINESS LOGIC DON'T COUNT !!

Don't get me wrong, Brazil has more to offer than inconveniences,
and I love the place to bits ! It's just a way to promote local
industry.
...   but then the protectionist activities of  other countries aren't
bad
either ........

-Francis

"Nothing should ever be done for the first time !"