DreamHost CGI not working...

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Tue Apr 18 16:29:50 EDT 2006

Alex Tweedly wrote:

>> [fig]$ cp revolution.x86  revolution
>> [fig]$ ./revolution test1.cgi
>> Could not open libgdk-x11-2.0.so: libgobject-2.0.so: cannot open
>> shared object f
>> ile: No such file or directory

This looks like one of the famous "missing libraries" issues. Not all
ISPs install the older Apache libs. I don't recognize these (that is,
they aren't the ones you normally see missing) but the ".so" business is
a tip-off. Your ISP has to install these. Some won't.

> and it more or less worked - gave me an error message first, but the
> output appeared properly.

That's kind of a surpise. Rev didn't use to work at all if libs were
missing. Seems like an improvement to me.

> However, I created test2.cgi - changing the first line to be
> #!./revolution -ui
> uploaded that, changed permissions to 755, and it now works OK from
> browser and from shell.

I think if you upload the "standalone" engine rather than the IDE
engine, you shouldn't have to add the -ui part.

> I think the problem is not with the name of the revolution executable -

That's right, you can name it anything you want as long as your script's
first line matches. I suggest "Revolution" in the tutorial to keep
things consistent for new users. But actually, in my own directory, I
name it something very odd -- a random combination of letters -- so that
outsiders can't guess it and try to use it. I'm not sure if they
actually could do that, but I'm paranoid after seeing what happened to
formMail.

> I think for some reason the ftp upload of the original file has left the
> file marked as "in use" or some such thing, causing the "Text file busy"
> (note that the Unix error message "Text file" refers to an executable -
> very confusing !!).

Got me, I've never seen this before.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com