Installing and Using Revolution as a CGI on Tierra.Net(was Dreamhost)

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Tue Apr 18 13:41:17 EDT 2006

Lynn-

Tuesday, April 18, 2006, 8:24:48 AM, you wrote:

> If anyone has experience with setting up Rev as a CGI with hosts and can
> document how to do it in a way that Phil did with Dreamhost, it would be
> great if you could post it to the CGI forum. Id like to get a couple of
> polished versions up, that we can "sticky".

No. But I'll be glad to put it here and give anyone free permission to
post it in the forum.

Here's what I did on Jaguarpc.com:

In your hosting space on Jaguarpc you will find a folder called
public_html. This is where your web pages live. Within that is a
folder called cgi-bin. I took the "Linux" file from my "Revolution
2.6.1/components/engines" folder and copied it to the cgi-bin folder
using my ftp client. Then I renamed it "revolution".

I then made the canonical "hello.cgi" test script file and placed it in the same
cgi-bin folder.

#!revolution

on startup
  put "Content-Type: text/plain" & cr & cr
  put "Hello World!"
end startup

I set the permissions of both files to 755 (I was using WS_FTP LE on
Windows at the time, so I selected the file, right-clicked to bring up
a contextual menu, and selected chmod, then clicked all three
"execute" checkboxes).

Note that Jaguarpc uses linux servers. I created the test script on a
Windows machine, so the line endings were wrong. I launched a web
browser and pointed it to "www.ahsoftware.net/cgi-bin/hello.cgi". I
got a server error, so I went back to the "hello.cgi" file, changed
the line endings to be unix lf-only style, uploaded it again, and all
was well.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net