keyDown message weirdness

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Tue Apr 18 10:11:22 EDT 2006

On Apr 17, 2006, at 6:45 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:

> Devin Asay wrote:
>> Can anyone confirm this for me? I have discovered that when
>> entering  non-Latin (or maybe non-MacRoman) characters into a
>> field that no  keyDown or rawKeyDown message gets sent. I'd like
>> others to confirm  before I Bugzilla it.
>> Rev 2.6.1 and 2.7.dp4.
>> Mac OS X 10.4.6
>> PowerMac G4 and G5 DP.
>> Haven't tried it on Windows (got no Windows box at home to try.)
>> Recipe:
>> Create a new stack.
>> Create an editable text field.
>> Open the message watcher (you'll want to suppress all but
>> unhandled  and handled messages.)
>> Make sure a latin alphabet is selected from the input menu (the
>> little flag menu.) I used the standard US keyboard.
>> Type some characters into the field. Observe that the message
>> watcher  shows both keyDown, rawKeyDown and keyUp, rawKeyUp messages.
>> Choose a non-Latin input like Greek or Cyrillic (I've also tried
>> it  with Chinese and even non-lower-ASCII latin characters.) No
>> keyDown  or rawKeyDown messages are shown, but all of the keyUp
>> messages  register.
>
> Maybe I haven't chosen the right font, but I seem to be getting all
> four messages. I chose a few fonts whose names were gibberish in
> the OS X Font menu. I didn't try with too many keys; are there
> certain keys I should try typing?

Jacque,

It's not the font choice that triggers the bug, but the input method.
You would need to activate the input menu from the International
system pref pane. Activate, eg., Cyrillic or Greek, then click in
your rev field and choose one of these languages from the flag menu.
Then watch the message watcher to see if the keydown messages
disappear. I'm getting this consistently on 2.6.1 through 2.7.x on
both a Powermac G4 and G5 running 10.4.6.

Devin

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University