FTP and SocketTime Out?

John Patten johnpatten at mac.com
Mon Apr 17 18:12:56 EDT 2006

Hello All!

I have a ftp routine that works by parsing the directory structure of an ftp server. It sets contents of menu buttons to the directories on the ftp server. This is all done on a up to date Windows XP desktop, Rev 2.7.

Last week, the intial connection to the FTP server took about 3-4 sec. This week I have to set the SocketTimeOutInterval to 100000. Once the inital connection is made, I'm able to navigate down through the ftp directory structure through my menu buttons without any delays (I assume because I have an open connections once I've made the inital ftp connection.)

This is an ftp server on the local network, accessed via IP addres, and the FTP server is an OSX Server not a desktop Mac.

Our network people were replacing a Win2003 server on Friday.

Any one have an idea what would cause the intitial ftp connection to take so long now? I'm thinking the instalation of the new Win2003 server must have changed something. DNS...? Probably not cause I'm using IP address to access server? Wins? Ideas...?

Thank you!

John Patten
Sylvan Union SD