OT: backups

Pierre Sahores psahores at easynet.fr
Mon Apr 17 04:56:30 EDT 2006

Hi Mark,

I'm running Synchronise Pro X 4.1.1, each night in "cron" mode with
good results since over one year :

1.- to backup my two home office macs (pwb OS X 10.4.6 + mac mini OS
X 10.3.9) to an external/remote 250 Go firewire external drive
connected to the mac mini.

2.- to clone the 160 Go firewire external startup drive of one of my
internet provided servers (an other mac mini OS X 10.3.9).

Works fine in both cases.

I used the LaCie SilverKeeper freeware before with less good results.

Regards,

Le 17 avr. 06 à 05:09, Mark Wieder a écrit :

> All-
>
> Off topic, but there are some smart and savvy people on this list so I
> thought I'd ask...
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations for backup systems?
>
> What I'm currently using: a mixed OSX and Windows 2k system running
> Retrospect Server 6.5 on a Win2k server box, backing up four computers
> to a 160gig NetDisk. This occasionally works, is a pain to set up,
> more of a pain to reconfigure, and a *real* pain if an error occurs
> during the backup process. I've had Retrospect hang and use up 99% of
> the available cpu resources, I've had it not find client machines and
> had to reinstall the client software many times, I've had it give me
> errors on files I've told it not to back up...
>
> So my question is: does anyone with more than one computer have any
> recommendation for something that works better? None of my clients
> have a backup system that works unless they move files manually, and I
> don't know what to recommend to them because I haven't found anything
> that works for me either.
>
> --
> -Mark Wieder
>  mwieder at ahsoftware.net