Could Rev do this?

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Fri Apr 14 21:02:43 EDT 2006

Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Maybe not. I was thinking about the same problem here the other day,
> and wile I haven't written anything yet it occurred to me that Rev's
> MD5 function could probably be useful:  you'd make a list of all the
> files, read each file into a variable and run the variable through
> MD5, and then any matching MD5 keys are likely duplicates.
>
> Anyone here see a weakness to that crude approach?

It should work. In fact, I wrote a stack to do that (for music files)
last year and it worked OK for them. Only weakness was that it was slow
- I considered adding an "index file" to each directory, which would
store the file names and md5 signatures, but hadn't got as far as doing
that.

Other weakness -I decided it wasn't worth adding refinements because it
was a one-off effort to merge two lots of music files and I got it
completed OK before I had refined the stack, so I didn't keep the stack :-(

I'll try re-creating it from memory and see if it's as easy as I
remember ...