Installing and Using Revolution as a CGI on Tierra.Net (was Dreamhost)

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Fri Apr 14 18:23:30 EDT 2006

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the info on Tierra.net, but unless I'm missing something, it
is way more expensive than DreamHost.com.

On DreamHost you get:
1 FREE domain registration
www.yourname.com
UNLIMITED domains hosted
UNLIMITED subdomains
20 GB Disk, 1 TB Transfer
3000 Mailboxes, 75 Shell/FTP Users

all for $7.95 bucks a month.

The cheapest plan I could find at Tierra.net was:
100 MB, 2GB Bandwidth
Bundled email provides SPAM filtering, virus protection, and 5 mailboxes
with webmail access.

all for $17.95 per month

So, it's over 2X the cost with 1/200th the storage space and 1/500th the
Bandwidth allowed. Not sure of the value prop there...though I have to
add one caveat.

While I've never contacted Tierra.net, you have said you can actually
*talk* to a person there. I've tried on numerous occasions to *talk* to
a person at DreamHost, never with any success. I figured if I couldn't
talk to a live human, then they wouldn't get my business. I use
iPowerWeb.com, but have yet to try running Rev cgi there.

best,

Chipp