Using 'try'

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Thu Apr 13 16:36:23 EDT 2006

Graham-

Thursday, April 13, 2006, 12:28:52 AM, you wrote:

> In the very interesting discussion on Custom Properties, Mark Wieder
> introduced this example

>> setProp NewValue pValue
>>   try
>>     if pValue < 0 then
>>       set the foreColor of me to "red"
>>     else
>>       set the foreColor of me to empty
>>     end if
>>   end try
>>   put pValue into me
>> end NewValue

> I think I get the idea, but Mark, why did you use 'try'? It would not

David Burgun as provided the longer-winded explanation (and a great
one at that - not meant as putting it down), but basically the "try"
construct here lets me set the field to empty without running into a
runtime error. Without the try the code would give me an error on the
first line if pValue is empty, since it would try to execute

if < 0 then

Putting the code inside a try construct lets me ignore the error that
results from trying to execute an illegal statement and move on to the
next line of executable code after the end try.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net