Installerless installation on OSX?

Robert Brenstein rjb at robelko.com
Thu Apr 13 14:35:15 EDT 2006

>Just FWIW (and an opportunity to be a bit iconoclastic), I have several
>users of one product I make for a client who just don't grasp the concept of
>a .DMG file. They get confused. They don't know what to do with it. They
>double-click it and then they think they've done something wrong.
>
>Mounting virtiual disk drives is apparently a concept that is beyond at
>least some portion of the population. Thus Graham's original idea of just
>providing the app and a couple of folders, unstuffed, naked to the world, no
>.dmg wrapper, makes sense sometimes I think.

Makes me wonder whether those users are switchovers from Windows.
Windows people seem to be trained to have installers or at least zip
files.

There is nothing wrong with distributing naked folders if they are
distributed on a CD or some similar media. Internet distribution,
however, works better if there is some wrapper to ensure the files
travel intact. StuffIt was the common choice earlier. DMG is more
popular now. Zip is another option.

Robert