[OT] Software engineers top list of best jobs

Scott Kane scott at proherp.com
Thu Apr 13 05:55:06 EDT 2006

> Software engineers top list of best jobs

Wish it was the same here.  When I started (not
writing code at home on the C64 - but professionally)
I was on $64,000 AUD in the 1980's.  That's around
$120,000 AUD now.  However - the most I can get as
a consultant now is around $75 an hour - and even then
they try to whittle you down to $45 per hour.  What's
worse is that big business (and the Federal Government)
are hiring software sweat shops in Asia for a weeks
work at less than I charge for an hour.  Something's gone
desperately wrong.  Our previous Prime Minister talked
of a "knowledge nation" and was howled down with laughter.
It seems that laughter has turned sour and we have comp
Sci grad's who can't even get an entry level job and old
timers who can't get what they are worth (if they are
offered at all).  The ones that seem consistently to hire
locally are those working with SAP.

Scott