Image Width Limits on Macs?

Geoff Canyon gcanyon at inspiredlogic.com
Wed Apr 12 11:25:15 EDT 2006

The docs say:

     Cross-platform note:  On Mac OS and OS X systems, the
     maximum width of an image is 16384 divided by the
     screen's bit depth. (For example, if the number of colors
     is "Millions", the maximum image width is 4096 pixels.)

First, how do you divide 16384 by 4096 you get 4. How is 4 related to
"Millions?"

Second, any idea what the other options are?

Now that I think about it, could it mean _byte_ depth? It takes 4
bytes to store a pixel in millions of colors. So then thousands would
be 2, correct? and anything less than thousands 1?

Any help much appreciated, as my bug-free code example has a bug
until this is resolved ;-)