Runtime Revolution Ships Revolution Media

Jim Carwardine JimCarwardine at OwnYourFuture-net.com
Wed Apr 12 09:14:39 EDT 2006

Branding is not an issue for the language of Rev because almost all of the
users are on this list - change the name and several people have to do a
search/replace for the name on a few documents.  Developers starting to use
Rev are doing so because somebody on this list told them about it.  The
internet is far more valuable as a networking and referral vehicle for
products like Rev - excellent but not much weight (like if Microsoft had
authored it).

Branding on any scale that matters won't happen until Rev decides to spend
millions of $ on advertising in major media.  Then their messaging must be
surpassed by their performance to make a hit.

Lynn has just arrived and is taking his job seriously getting the Rev
message as simple and powerful as it can be.  Trial and error after all the
entrails have been examined is the only way.  Constructive feedback is
invaluable at this stage of development - which he's getting in spades.

Marketing Rev-developed apps has a different market altogether.

The big error most startup businesses make is altering the value proposition
without recognizing it.  Altering the value proposition CHANGES YOUR MARKET
as the people that valued it before may not value it now.  Changing price,
suddenly putting out buggy code, shirking on the docs all affect the
perceived value of Rev.  Also, I think that versions 2.6 and 2.7 violated
the value proposition that Rev had established - around OS 9 and around
succession where the 2.6 files wouldn't run in 2.7.  Earlier versions were
not that difficult a transition I don't think (I entered at Version 5).

In 2.7 people were expecting something other than what they got - hence all
the flack er, feedback.

This needs to settle down.  Markets hate unpredictable change.
Inconsistency is the true evil.  McDonald's hamburgers are consistently
mediocre and they are banking on it.  Rev needs to settle on their value
proposition and then ruthlessly protect it - inside their own
organization... Jim