List Moderation, recent threads and New Forum

Bob Warren bobwarren at howsoft.com
Tue Apr 11 13:50:10 EDT 2006

Thanks Jacque. First off, I should tell you that Heather didn't want to
answer my post on-list, so she did it off-list. She also told me she
didn't want to perpetuate this thread.

I also replied off-list, because I was not satisfied. I have so far
received no answer to mine, and in actual fact I don't imagine I will
get one.

Are you speaking to me on behalf of Runtime Revolution? If so, please
tell me what am I supposed to do now that you have perpetuated the
thread and given me information which needs a reply on-list, since not
everything you say in your post is true, and I should be given the
opportunity to correct it.

Thinking better, forget it. I'm not going to play this game any more.
It has two sets of rules.

By the way, if Runtime Revolution would like to publish my off-list
communication mentioned above, I would have absolutely no objection.

Regards,
Bob Warren (client)

Jacqueline Landman Gay (HyperActive Software) wrote:

>Bob Warren wrote:

>> The first part of my question concerns the use of Buzilla. I refuse to
>> use it in its present form essentially because of the voting system.

I think you have misunderstood the voting system. RR uses that to get a
sense of how many users are affected by a particular problem, but it in
no way determines which bugs get fixed first. The determination is made
based on a number of different factors, of which user votes is only one
consideration.

>> have a bug in Linux, which at the moment is nothing but an emerging OS,
>> not of immediate interest to the vast majority of people on this list
>> (my potential voters). How am I supposed to draw attention to a serious
>> bug in Rev Linux and get something done about it in a timely fashion?

The best way is to enter it into Bugzilla via the channels set up for
that. The engineers do not read this list looking for bug reports. If
you do not report it, they won't know about it. It is that simple.

You can also submit it to the support queue, as I mentioned in another
post, and we will move it to Bugzilla for you. It is faster though if
you simply enter it into Bugzilla yourself, using either the web
interface or Revzilla.

>> Frantically, I wrote an e-mail directly to the Chief Technical Officer
>> (Mark Waddingham), which was met by stony silence rather than some kind
>> of reply

Which was entirely appropriate. He is far too busy to respond to
individual customers, it isn't part of his job, there are other avenues
for these reports, and you tried to bypass them. If you had submitted
the problem via the channels that have been created for that purpose,
you would have received an immediate response. There are several people
whose job is to do that.

-- Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw.com HyperActive
Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com ------------------------------