Clarification on Menubar under MacOS X?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Mon Apr 10 16:41:22 EDT 2006

David Burgun wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have created a Menubar containg just a "File" menu and given it the
> following items:
>
> Test 1
> --------
> Test 2
> --------
> Test 3
> Test 4
> Test 5
> --------
> Quit
>
> If set this menubar as in:
>
> set the menubar of this stack to myMenubar
>
> The menu appears ok except that when it displays, the last item in  the
> menu is "Test 3". I was fully expecting the ---- before the quit  and
> the quit item itself to be removed but not 4 items to move. If I  insert
> 2 dummy items after Test 5, then it behaves correctly.
>
> Any ideas? Why should it remove 4 items, instead of 2 as the
> documentation states??

I suspect it is because a "help" menu is also required. The engine is
probably removing the last 2 lines from the File menu and doing the
appropriate thing, and then looking at the last menu button so it can
manage the Help menu the same way. Because the File menu and the last
button (which is supposed to be "Help") are actually the same button, it
is also removing another 2 lines from the bottom of the File menu.

Most operating systems require a Help menu, and Rev expects it.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com