answer the result

Dave Cragg dcragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Mon Apr 10 09:53:49 EDT 2006

Hi

Has something changed at some point with the way "answer the result"
works?

I was reviewing some old scripts, which basically look like this:

   on mouseUp
       get url "http://www.lacscentre.co.uk/nofile.txt"
       if the result is not empty then
         answer the result
       else
         put it into field 1
      end if
   end mouseUp

The url is for a non-existent file, so I expect "404 file not found",
but I see a blank answer dialog box (no message). If I do this...

   on mouseUp
       get url "http://www.lacscentre.co.uk.nofile.txt"
       if the result is not empty then
         put the result
       else
         put it into field 1
      end if
   end mouseUp

...I see the the error in the message box as expected.

Could someone confirm that they see the same thing (i.e. a blank
message) in case it's just at my end. This was with Rev 2.6 and 2.7
(XP and OS X).

This used to work ( I just checked with Rev 2.1.2).

I know we shouldn't rely on the result staying around for long, and I
generally store the result in a variable immediately. But I thought
"if the result is not empty then answer the result" was a fairly
common method. (LibUrl documentation uses it all over the place.)

Cheers
Dave