bugs

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Sun Apr 9 13:59:17 EDT 2006

Cousin Geoff,

> I would argue that code that matches the specification _is_ bug-free.

I grant you that from the perspective of a programmer delivering
software to a client or employer, if one has met the specs one might
contend her work is "bug-free".  But I would err on the side of caution
and limit my claim to "it meets the specifications".

Here's a situation that bites me every so often.  I wonder if others
experience this and how they respond:

A client presents me with a specification for quote or comment , over
time we enter into a working relationship, and I begin coding.

Somewhere into the process I get the nagging feeling things aren't
working out, or that the design has some problematical aspects to it.
Sometimes this just comes up during development, other times I have
suggested alternatives and been told "No, this is the way we want it."

More often then not, there comes a time in this process when I can see
the design specs are leading me to a dead end or dangerous territory.
Then comes the issue: do I give the client what he asked for, or try to
persuade him his real needs weren't  correctly articulated?  (Which
sometimes depends on if I'm working time & materials or fixed bid.)
Generally I find myself going down a dead-end road further than I
should because "that's what the client specified."

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company