bugs

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Sun Apr 9 12:34:03 EDT 2006

Geoff,

>> The thing is, that is not a bug.  The programmer did not make any
>> error
>> in his code at all.

You've removed the smiley; so I'm taking back some of that slack.

The original request was for bug-free SOFTWARE, not a bug-free CODE
snippet.

>>   The code works as it was intended.

So you're in the same camp as my Flexware buddy, Bernie Mulcahy: "my
software is bug-free if people use it correctly"?

I write a lot of code that works the way it was intended....  And I end
up changing a lot of code during debugging because I and/or the user
find that what was intended (ie: in the project specs) turns out to be
flawed in implementation, doesn't address a real-world issue, leads the
user in the wrong direction, or is simply inferior to a different
approach that comes out of the testing process.

Simply meeting a specification does not guarantee that every user who
installs your software will experience no problems using it.  The
critiques posted by others list several valid deficiencies in your
example.

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company