Revolution "software" to black listed nations

James Spencer jspencer78 at mac.com
Sun Apr 9 11:04:15 EDT 2006

On Apr 8, 2006, at 8:53 PM, Sivakatirswami wrote:

> Has anyone studied out carefully the issue of shipping Rev stacks
> to countries on the US state department embargo list?  These being
> currently (found in many typical EULA's)
>
> "Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Libya, North Korea, Sudan, Syria, military or
> police entities in South Africa, or any other country to which the
> United States has embargoed goods.
>
> Would there not be a difference between
>
> 1) the Rev IDE which give users tools to build software.
> 2) a standalone which does not.
>
> in terms of the embargo? Where do we find the precise definition of
> "software" that should not be shipped to these countries?
>
> Could a Standalone be conceived of as a "product" of software, like
> a PDF is a Product of Acrobat, but not Acrobat itself. I mean I
> can't imagine Adobe is breaking laws when some North Korean
> downloads a PDF from the web. Similalry, I'm wondering, if somone
> downloads a standalone application built with Revolution if this is
> a violation of the embargo or not.

Unlike kee, I am a lawyer but know nothing about security law, ITAR,
international law, or any other issue directly related to this
question other than what I quickly looked up at the State Department
web site so what I'm saying here is NOT legal advice.  If you are
close enough to the edge to really have a question about this, you
are nuts if you don't go hire a real lawyer to check it out.

kee has addressed the general issues and I am writing to make four
points:

1) ITAR and the other law I looked at this morning, doesn't play
games around whether the item or service is "software" or a "product"
of software.  It is generic and covers items and information that can
be used for military purposes.

2) Forget US law for a moment, your Revolution license prohibits the
distribution of "Created Software" to embargoed countries.  "Created
Software" includes "stacks and files" created using Revolution so
again, it doesn't matter whether you try to call your stacks a
"product" of software or whether it is a standalone.  Note that the
license applies whether you are in the United States (and therefore
subject to US export restrictions) or not.

3) A PDF contains no executable code and in fact contains nothing
that would violate the embargo other than the information contained
in the PDF.  Thus the example of Acrobat as versus PDF's created with
Acrobat is not on point.  The same may or may not be true for a Rev
stack not compiled as a standalone but again, the license
nevertheless prohibits you exporting the stack to Iran.

4) In any case, if you export a prohibited item to an embargoed
country, say a PDF that shows how to build an atomic bomb, it is you
that has a problem if anyone does.  Adobe would not be breaking the
law assuming they have distributed Acrobat under the terms of the G-
DEST; you would.  Similarly, if you use Rev to create a stack that
controls an air defense system and sell it to the North Korean Air
Force, big brother will come looking for you, not Revolution, not
because Revolution is in Scotland and not subject to US law, but
because they aren't the one exporting to North Korea.

Whether you are in the United States and are subject to the embargo
or are not in the US and thus are only subject to the Rev license,
the question becomes how much you have to do to comply.  I would
suggest that is going to depend on what your product is.  If you have
produced a stack that you are distributing as freeware and which only
contains pictures of yourself that you took with your new iMac and
it's built in camera, I would probably not pay any attention at all
other than to refuse to reply if I got an order with a return address
in P'yongyang.  If, on the other hand, you have written a stack for
using your iMac to shoot down US spy satellites I probably would
consult an attorney, regardless of how I intended to distribute the
stack.  In between, use your judgment.

Spence

James P. Spencer
Rochester, MN

jspencer78 at mac.com

"Badges??  We don't need no stinkin badges!"