Register at Forums to See Everything

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Sat Apr 8 21:35:37 EDT 2006

Björnke von Gierke wrote:

>> And, I think the forum doesn't have any way to check for updates (new
>> posts) while you are logged in, unless I've just missed it. Is there
>> a way to do that ?
>

> just visit the link again, it'll update with each visit with the new
> entries, but the "old" and visited ones still linger there for some
> time...

I guess I'm really missing something fundamental.

I'm looking at the main forum index; it tells me (for example) that the
"Off-Topic" forum has 4 topics and 12 posts and when the last of those
was, while the "User Groups and Gatherings" has 5 topics and 5 posts and
when its last post was.

If I click again on the "index" link, it will give me updated numbers -
but how do I know which have changed since I visited the individual
forum (or since I read the messages within each forum) ?   (I surely
don't memorize all 58 numbers and 29 times and mentally check if any
have changed :-)

As it happens, I know that I have read all 4 topics and 12 posts in
"Off-topic" and none of the posts in "User Groups ..." - but there is no
differentiation between how those appear in the index.