Linux Engine Licensing - Please Read

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Apr 8 17:02:52 EDT 2006

Mark Schonewille wrote:
> Richard,
>
> Not so long ago, I experimented with running my stacks as little
> client apps with the engine in the bin folder of Mac OS X. This
> allows me to run a stack like an application, without building a
> standalone. Very much like running a Python applet. Have you
> noticed that this is no longer possible in Rev 2.7? Do you now a
> workaround?

In the olden days (MetaCard and the first few versions of Rev) you could
double-click a file and it would run the engine without the IDE,
allowing you to "preview" it similar to how it would be in a standalone.

In v2.7 the dev and runtime engines are separate, and I can't get the
dev engine to run without an IDE and I can't get the runtime engine to
run at all without being bound to an app.

I solved this for myself by building a simple stub app instead.  Now I
can just drop my files onto that and it works a treat.  I even added a
file association for a unique file type so I can have some stacks that
only open in this stub app when double-clicked, so I can run things like
my billing timer separate from the IDE I'm likely to restart often while
I'm working.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal