bugs

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Sat Apr 8 14:21:49 EDT 2006

Geoff-

Saturday, April 8, 2006, 12:21:38 AM, you wrote:

> So tell me what could go wrong? ;-)

In addition to the "system" date already taken care of,

1. The date is displayed in a modal dialog, which makes further use of
the app impossible until it's dismissed.
2. The mouseUp handler is never called. Did you mean to put it into a
button instead of an unlocked field?
3. I brought up the answer dialog at 11:59PM. When I went back and
checked it five minutes later it still had yesterday's date on it.
4. Displaying the mouseUp handler out of context doesn't guarantee
that it will run without problems. What if your mouseUp handler is in
the stack script and another mouseUp handler in a button intercepts
the message and doesn't pass it? You'll still have some debugging to
do in order to figure out why the date isn't displayed.

The point of all this is not that I'm nit-picking (I am, of course).
The point is that the ambiguities in the requirements can provoke any
number of equally valid (and equally wrong) responses. If I had wanted
the date displayed in the upper-right corner of the main stack and
continually updated, that still would fall under "display the date".
So would the case where I wanted a stack to function as a cgi app and
display the date as a string sent to stdout.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net