dreamhost and Rev CGI?

Phil Davis davis.phil at comcast.net
Sat Apr 8 05:28:43 EDT 2006

Thanks to all who posted on this topic. I got Rev CGI working on my
Dreamhost account. (Debian Linux)

I downloaded the 2.5.1 Linux installer from runrev.com, gunzipped &
untarred it locally.

My testing tonight tells me that I probably could have then simply
uploaded the engine only - revolution.x86 - to my server, into the same
directory as my CGI scripts that use it (not technically required, but
it simplifies things a little). Then fire away!

I started with a bare-bones script that I'm still changing &
re-uploading to see what else I can learn. Among other things, I
discovered that I'm running Rev engine version 2.6.2.

HEY, THIS IS FUN!

Here's my script:

=============== start after this line ===============
#! ./revolution.x86 -ui

on startup
   put "the params = " & q(the params)& cr \
       & "system version = " & urlDecode(the systemVersion) & cr \
       & "version = " & the version & cr \
       & "build = " & the buildNumber & cr \
       & "machine = " & the machine & cr \
       into tList

   get the globals
   repeat for each item tLine in it
     	put tLine && "=" && value(tLine) & cr after tList
   end repeat
   replace cr with "<br>" in tList

   put "Content-Type: text/html" & cr \
       	& "Context-Length: " & the length of tList & cr & cr \
       	& "Your ip is:" && $REMOTE_ADDR & "<br>" \
       	& tList
end startup

function q pPhrase
   return quote & pPhrase & quote
end q

============== end before this line =============

For those who care, it's stored here for another few days:
     http://pdslabs.net/rev/test1.cgi?123

Thanks again to all -
Phil Davis