Linux Engine Licensing - Please Read

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Apr 8 03:27:11 EDT 2006

Chipp wrote:

> Lynn Fredricks wrote:
>> If someone has a EULA linked to a particular version of the engine that
>> expressly allows this, send it to me ASAP - I am easily convinced by
>> previously issued EULAs.
7for7

>  From the website Richard pointed you to:
>
> "It can be used to run .mt scripts similar
> to the way the UNIX engines run them, and so can be used to develop
> CGI applications on Win32 systems with HTTP servers that support
> stdio-based communication.
>
> As is the case for UNIX console-mode development, there are no script
> length limits in this engine, and use of this engine free but
> unsupported."
>
> Probably a good thing to know. I didn't.

A lot of us MC users did.  I had occasion to mention this very
specifically to Lynn recently, more than once.  Not sure why he said he
wasn't familiar with it; maybe he just suffers from what Dan and I can
call Rev List Subscriber Memory Disorder. ;)

Most of the engine changes since the older version at <ftp.metacard.com>
have been for native appearances and other goodies that have no effect
when running in faceless mode.  Also, MetaCard Corp. supported far more
platforms than RunRev, so if your server runs Solaris, BSD, or one of
the other flavors Rev is no longer compiled for you can still enjoy
Transcript on your server with the old tried-and-true engine.

What a great way to evangelize Transcript: the moment you want to make
GUI admin tools or desktop apps, you already know the language.  Dr.
Raney had some insight!

So Andre, how's that web app framework coming?

The irony of all this is that it's been sitting there virtually untapped
for years, and only when someone breathes new life into the
ultra-niche-and-once-nearly-forgotten Ruby with the new-agey "Rails" do
we finally take a fresh look at the legacy Raney left for us so long ago
in our own native tongue.

I've been using Transcript as my language-of-choice on my servers since
before RunRev Ltd. was born.  It's nice that the world is finally
changing so I no longer feel the need to apologize for that choice
(remember the '90s when people wrote web apps in C? Ewwww).

PS: What is "eurotalk"?  It's been added to the public directory at
<ftp://runrev.com/pub/> but it's too big to download conveniently.  Did
I miss a press release?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal