Merde happens, but not here (yet)

Bob Warren bobwarren at howsoft.com
Fri Apr 7 23:06:25 EDT 2006

On 4/8/06, Bob Warren <bobwarren at howsoft.com> wrote:

 >> Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >>
 >>  >Bug report:
 >>
 >> The link to <http://www.howsoft.com/downloads/webed.zip> on
 >> <http://www.howsoft.com/downloads/index.html> is 404.
 >>
 >>  >Merde happens.
 >>
 >> Thanks Richard, I'm on it right away. But since I don't get a 404 from
 >> here, I'm not sure what to do next.
 >>
 >> Perhaps you kind List folks would be kind enough to click on the link
 >> for me and see whether it offers you a download or a 404, and then let
 >> me know the result.

Thanks guys!

Here's the fix report:

I tried doing the download in Windows, and it seemed to work OK. So then
I had the idea of trying it in Linux and it gave a 404. After several
unsuccessful experiments with the page itself, it suddenly occurred to
me to check the actual existence of the file, and lo-and-behold it had
disappeared! I imagine this must have happened when I changed service
provider recently, and supposedly everything was copied verbatim to the
new site. But since the link specified an absolute address to my site, I
would have thought it impossible that Windows should get it from my
browser cache instead. We live and learn!

Since I insist on trying to use layers in my pages, using even the same
browser in a different operating system sometimes causes the positioning
to go haywire, and I have now noticed this on the above download page in
Linux. So merde happens twice! If you don't mind, I'll leave that until
tomorrow, since I am a bit tired after my day's ordeals: a few hours ago
I had to negociate the release of my supposedly kidnapped son - pay up
R$50.000 or they'd kill him on the spot kind of drama. Luckily, it
turned out to be not a hoax but criminal action just to extract the
money, as my son was not really in the hands of the kidnappers, or so I
eventually found out. Merde ("merda" in Brazil) does indeed happen! But
as I said in the title to this thread, "not here yet"! Writing this
e-mail has unwound me nicely, so now I'll sign off. Nighty-night.

Regards,
Bob