OT: Haggis [was Re: [Ticket#: 2006040510000641] ]

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Fri Apr 7 05:36:24 EDT 2006

J. Landman Gay wrote:

> Mark Wieder wrote:
>
>>> Don't you remember the original web site? At the bottom of the page it
>>> said "We eat our own haggis."
>>
>>> Which is way further than I care to go. :)
>>
>> ...they can have my share, too... I'll pass...
>
> I'm OT now, but I want to know: Does anybody, anywhere, actually
> *like* this stuff?

Yes, I love it !

Forget the mythology, and the jokes - all haggis is is spiced sausage
with oatmeal added (most British sausage traditionally had cereal of
some kind added, unlike other European countries where sausage had
higher meat content).

Once cooked (steamed is best, microwave is second best, traditional
boiling is not so good), it's comparable in taste to some German and
Swiss sausage - though often spicier; the texture is of course quite
different. Best accompanied by the traditional 'neeps' (mashed turnip)
laden with butter and pepper, and either Rowan Jelly or Cranberry Jelly.

Best haggis I've ever tasted - The British Meat Pie Company in Davis,
California.
(they also do the best "Scotch pie" I've ever tried)