bugs

Scott Kane scott at proherp.com
Fri Apr 7 03:08:21 EDT 2006

> Garrett Hylltun
> Sent: Friday, 7 April 2006 4:52 PM
> To: How to use Revolution
> Subject: Re: bugs

Garret,

> And I have noticed that most of this is coming from the small
> independent developers and not the larger scale development
> houses.  The
> smaller independents are more quality oriented, whereas the larger
> companies are only in it for the money.

I'm moderator of three shareware newsgroups (and have been for
nine years), an ex Vice President of the Association of Shareware
Professionals, an ex Board member of the Association of Shareware
Professionals, a member of AISIP (Assoc of Independent Software Industry
Professionals) and have written and been involved in software in
various capacities, markets and marketing methods for over twenty
years.  I'm keeping my cool here - but you are talking a load of
dog waffle.  The crappiest software in existence is coming from
ISV's (wanna be shareware authors) - the net is full of it - sadly.
They perform no bug testing, no user focus groups, no market research
and spend their whole live bitching and moaning about pirates, instead
of improving their all to often garbage products.  Writing a programming
compiler and associated IDE and tools can not in any way be compared
to the trivial applications attempted by ISV's aka shareware authors.
I wish it was not the case - but it is.  A days downloading and
download.com will support this contention.  90% write knock off
app's (also known as "me too" app's) for tools that clone the likes
of Winzip and other products and they don't even improve on the
idea - in fact they ship inferior rot and then cry foul when consumers
don't buy it.

If you can't stand bugs in software and you believe it is possible
to ship without them (and I'm not talking show stoppers) then you
are living in the land of noddy driving a car built for one.

No personal insult intended, but this is a *major* area of contention
for me.

Scott Kane