[Ticket#: 2006040510000641] Re: [OT] Articles to read

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Apr 6 19:02:44 EDT 2006

J. Landman Gay wrote:

> David Burgun wrote:
>> 1.  I open a script and do nothing to the script, I then close the
>> script and it gives me the "Do you want to save?" dialog.
>
> I'm not sure this is really a bug. It is more a by-product of one of the
> features. Revolution saves not only your script, but also the location
> of the insertion point so that the next time you open the script it will
>   scroll automatically to where you were last working. This is a nice
> feature. So, if you close the script editor without clicking anywhere,
> you won't get the "save" warning. If you do click, it marks the script
> as dirty, stores the current cursor location, and asks if you want to
> save it.

It may not be a functional bug, but in the interest of thoroughness I'd
  flag it as a design bug:

Most HIGs recommend prompting for changes only for content changes, and
even when they recommend saving selection status they don't mark a
document as dirty until there is also a content change.

The saving of the selection is handy, but without any changes to the
script it's not worth tracking.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal