no mention of OS9 at rev? Not true.

Scott Kane scott at proherp.com
Thu Apr 6 07:52:21 EDT 2006

> People tend not to throw away old Mac's, look at the price
> they still
> fetch on EBay. I have 3 old G3's running as servers, music  juke
> boxes and one as a Giant Backup machine.

My first Mac was/is a Wallstreet G3.  I was given it by a Mac
friend (I've always worked on Intel - DOS/OS2/Windows/*nix).
When she first sent it it came with OS8.  Then she sent OS9.
Because I needed OSX support she sent her old Panther disks,
but Panther didn't want to know about the machine (except with
a tool called XPostoFacto which loaded Panther but the monitor
was screwed up).  So she finally sent me her old Jaguar disks.
That suited me fine as I have clients on Jaguar and the G3
supports Jaguar just fine.  I'll be buying my first desktop
Mac this year - but have to settle for emulation for Panther right now.
That isn't so bad for testing compiled products, but not good
for developing on.  The G3 runs the Rev demo beautifully (I have
a Windows license for Rev) so I'll probably be looking at Rev
for OSX later on as well.  To get true platform support you
really do need to compile on the intended platform I have
found.

Scott