There's a snail in my script entry !

Francis Nugent Dixon effendi at wanadoo.fr
Wed Apr 5 16:40:25 EDT 2006

Hi from Paris,

Thanks to Jacqueline and Mark.

Jacqueline : I may be obtuse but I didn't find the :

Try clicking the little icon above the "Enter" button to toggle to a
different display option.

I am running Rev on a Mac, and can't see the Enter button or the
little icon. Where is this ?

Mark : I ran a few tests and have some more information :

I run all my stacks using a HomeStack, like wot was in Hypercard !
My HomeStack contains lots of buttons, each calling one of my
stacks. It also ensures running the OpenStack scripts, which was
the only way I found to be sure, and sets up global variables used
in all of my stacks. Why would my HomeStack cause a problem ?
It is convenient for me and I don't want to trash it, but I am seriously
considering dropping the concept.

If I run stack "B", called from my HomeStack, and start scripting,
I get snail script entry. If I run the stack directly, and then script,
it works much faster (still slow, but just about acceptable). I still
see the parsing data on the bottom line of the script window, but
the data flashes up much more rapidly. I switched off all the useless
(to me) functions in Script Editor Preferences - no difference ! The
problem shows up on ALL of my stacks called from HomeStack, so
it is either my HomeStack causing the delay, or a parameter setting
in development. Is there NO way to switch off the script parser ?
(It is more of a pain than a help !)

What is even more confusing : -

I also note that during development, Data Entry in any of the data
fields is also pathetic (also about 1 character a second) so it is not
just a scripter problem. This of course does not happen under
Stack Runner, where all works at lightning speed. I only have a
"on closeCard" script in my HomeStack, and I don't trap keystrokes,
so I can't see any of my handlers responsable for this.

I'm on a Mac G4 (733 MHz), so this should be fast enough, and I am
running Revolution 2.6.1 Build 152.

Best Regards

-Francis (Perplexed !)

"Nothing should ever be done for the first time !"