Revolution for enterprise SAP-style applications?

Russ McBride russmcb at tsw.berkeley.edu
Mon Apr 3 17:26:53 EDT 2006

Hi,

It's been a few years since I've used Revolution.

We've got a messy set of systems here that keep the front end and
back end of our store running and I'm exploring ideas for
inexpensively consolidating and streamlining them to reduce
complexity and redundancy.  One possibility is rebuilding everything
from the ground up in RR.  I'm not sure that it can do it though.
Basically, we need to rebuild nothing less than a "junior-SAP"
system, a set of the following:

--a point-of-sale system
--an inventory management system
--some custom apps that access remote web services
--a content control system for web site data (simpler than Hemingway,
e.g.)
--some custom bookkeeping apps

The goal would be to reduce our 4 overlapping databases down to one
so it means that these apps would be heavily database-centric,
probably built on FrontBase, PostgreSQL, or MySQL.  And I would need
to easily tie in some Objective-C code and Java code (and ideally
some Ruby code) when necessary.  The web content system would have to
feed into some flat files for the WebDNA web app system we're using
until we get around to rebuilding our WebDNA/WebObjects composite
system.

At one point Geoff Canyon made it sound like RealBasic might be
better for database-intensive applications.

Unfortunately our environment at the University here requires custom
applications, but we don't have the $$ for an actual SAP-style
setup.  Having used RR for some apps quite awhile ago my first
impression is that it might be perfect, er--the only possible
candidate--for rapidly building an inexpensive, but comprehensive set
of apps.  My other choices would be RealBasic (more code, but maybe a
more desirable language), Cocoa (but this wouldn't be truly rapid--at
least not for me), Ruby on Rails (but I don't want web interfaces),
WebObjects (ditto), or Cocoa-Ruby (interesting, but limited to Mac),
or Ruby + TK (unstable GUI system).

What do you think?  Any tips, anecdotes, or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks very much,

Russ McBride
Programmer/Analyst, PhD Cadidate
The Scholar's Workstation