ODBC connection to MS SQL 2000 help needed

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 2 03:44:57 EDT 2006

--- Ruslan Zasukhin <sunshine at public.kherson.ua>
wrote:

> Jan, Trevor,
>
> Actually Revolution should have Active Listbox if it
> still do not have it.
>
> Any threading will not help you if you want to
> browser 10 millions table.
> Active Listbox is an answer.
>

> --
> Best regards,
>
> Ruslan Zasukhin

Hi Ruslan,

While I agree an Active ListBox could take care of
this, I would already be happy if I had some way to
simulate its behaviour.

Progress database grids start by showing the lines
that fit into the visible portion of the browser, and
will only fetch more data from the server if you
scroll down the grid.
If you hit the 'End' key, it will fetch all the query
result information from the server, and keep that
stuff cached so you can then scroll smoothly through
the entire result set in your grid.

At the moment, a call to revdb_querylist() will lock
up the UI until it has combined the column data for
each row, separated by tabs and returns. The result is
a piece of text that you can toss into a field with
hGrid and vGrid visible, and presto, you have a simple
grid. Threaded operation would let us append this data
as it comes in from the server.

Revolution is by its very nature a general-purpose
visual development tool, not a dedicated database
front-end builder. Nevertheless, its database library
allows us to build business apps with a sleek modern
look and feel. And nearly always in a lot less time
than when you have to crack open .NET or Java.

Jan Schenkel.

Quartam Reports for Revolution
<http://www.quartam.com>

=====