weird standalone save behavior

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 17:10:21 EST 2006

> I have had a strange problem with "splash screen" standalones not
> saving data for some time now. This only happens on Macs. Windows
> standalone apps, created from the same stack files as the Mac
> standalones, work just fine. The problem is not in the standalone
> setup dialog; the settings have been checked by both Sarah Reichelt
> and Jacqueline Gay. My Mac standalones save data on other people's
> Mac's.
>
> This problem started months ago. My Mac standalones used to save
> data, and I'm not sure when this problem really started. It might
> have been during the time of Rev 2.5, or 2.6. It also seemed to start
> at different times on my two Macs, ( a G4 tower and a G3 iBook, both
> currently runing System 10.4.5.), but within a short time of each
> other. I have also tried all the versions of Revolution I own:
> 2.1.2, 2.2, 2.5,2.5.1, 2.6, 2.6.1 and the latest version of
> Revolution: 2.7. I get the same behavior in all the different versions.
>
> In an effort to figure out what is going on I have been using the
> following script for saving:
>
> ON mouseUp
>      save this stack
>      IF the result is not empty THEN
>          put the result into resultVar
>          answer resultVar
>      ELSE
>          answer "save confirmed"
>      END IF
> END mouseUp
>
> When I can not save data I always get the same result: "Can't open
> stack file".
>

> This problem seems to be related to folders. I can take a standalone
> that does not save data and drag it to the desktop and it will save
> data. The problem seems to happen in both system 10.2.8 and 10.4.5.

When I have had permissions problems, usually the app will not run. It
just bounces once in the Dock and then quite. However I now always zip
an app before transferring it to another computer. This seems to
prevent any of that type of permissions error.

With your app saving on the desktop but not in it's usual folder, I
wonder about the folder name & path. Does the path include any weird
characters i.e any characters with an ASCII higher than 128? How deep
is the folder nested - how many characters in the full path name? If
you are running from the Applications folder, are you logged in as an
administrative user? If not, you aren't allowed to write to the main
Applications folder, although you can write to the user's own
Applications folder.

If you have a single data stack, you might like to consider saving it
in a different place, perhaps in the user's Documents folder. On
startup, load it in from Docs or create a new one from a template
stack if it doesn't exist.

Cheers,
Sarah