Neural networking student: step throught the code

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Sep 28 01:26:35 EDT 2005

Erik Hansen wrote:
> took a course in Neural networking.
> the prof said the computer code was too "dense"
> and referred me to verbal passages that made no
> sense
> at all. in desperation i tried stepping  through
> the code
> and it all came clear. the equations and graphics
> were intuitive when seen one line of code at a
> time .

Many years ago I had a subscription to AI Magazine, and they ran a good
many columns by a very talented writer on neural networks named Maureen
Caudill.   She never lacked depth to her writings, but somehow managed
to explain things in ways that even a relative neophyte like me could
understand.

I've not seen much in the way of web-published work from her, but I'm
sure you could find some of her books through your local library.

In a quick Google for her name I stumbled across this item which may be
worth a look:

<http://web.informatik.uni-bonn.de/II/ag-klein/people/zach/benchmarks/NeuralNetTest.java>

Excerpt:

* Class NeuralNetTest
*
* Aka Back Propagationn Neural Net. This code is a modified
* version of the code that was submitted to BYTE Magazine by
* Maureen Caudill. It accompanied her article "Expert Networks,"
* BYTE, Oct. '91, though that article doesn't discuss this type
* of neural net algorithm in particular. For that, see "Back
* Propagation," BYTE, Oct. '97 by William P. Jones and Josiah
* Hoskins.
*
* The author's original heading/comment was as follows:
*
*  Backpropagation Network
*  Written by Maureen Caudill
*  in Think C 4.0 on a Macintosh
*
*  (c) Maureen Caudill 1988-1991
*  This network will accept 5x7 input patterns and produce 8 bit
*  output patterns. The source code may be copied or modified
*  without restriction, but no fee may be charged for its use.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal