Sound formats

Charles Hartman charles.hartman at conncoll.edu
Sat Sep 24 22:55:38 EDT 2005

On Sep 24, 2005, at 9:30 PM, Mark Smith wrote:

> WAVs will be the same size as AIFFs, they're both uncompressed PCM
> audio...
>
> FWIW, in the professional audio world, WAVs are becoming (have
> become?) the general standard, even on Macs. At least for
> uncompressed audio, otherwise it's MP3 all the way.

Well, not for music. AIFFs and Sound Designer II still rule.

I wish Apple would let (if that's the problem) other people use the
AAC (mp4) encoding. It's slightly more compact than mp3, and *much*
higher quality. My aged ears can rarely hear the difference between
AAC and 16-bit CD audio (24-bit is a different story), while mp3s are
noticeably inferior.