Sound formats

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sat Sep 24 22:08:05 EDT 2005

Mark Smith wrote:
> WAVs will be the same size as AIFFs, they're both uncompressed PCM
> audio...
>
> FWIW, in the professional audio world, WAVs are becoming (have  become?)
> the general standard, even on Macs. At least for  uncompressed audio,
> otherwise it's MP3 all the way.

Thanks. Between the time I asked and the time you answered, I did some
quick comparisons and did see that WAV, AIFF, and uncompressed AU are
all the same size. I've decided to go with WAV PCM. While they are as
large as the original HC sounds, that isn't a problem, and they have
good quality sound, cross-platform compatibility, and Rev can play them
without QuickTime. So, WAV it is.

I have a huge number of these sounds to convert, so doing a second pass
to convert the WAV files to MP3 isn't really an option. If I didn't have
so many I might have done it to save space, but as it is, it isn't going
to happen.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. It saved me from hauling out the old PC.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com