Sound formats

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Sat Sep 24 19:00:17 EDT 2005

On Sep 24, 2005, at 3:11 PM, Thomas McCarthy wrote:

> This thread got off a little, I think. The original question was
> can you play Mp3 sounds in your Rev stack.
> The answer is 'Yes'--use a player object and set it's file name
> property your Mp3 file.
> It doesn't require QuickTime. Windows computers will use their own
> technology. I have played Mp3 files with player objects on Win98
> boxes without QuickTime even in the same building. No problem.

I just wanted to add a note on how to test if a format will playback
on Windows without QT installed (or dontUseQT set to true).  On
Windows if you don't have QT installed then you are using Windows
"Media Control Interface" or MCI.  Here is how to test if a file is
supported by MCI (taken from the Rev conference stack on Images &
Multimedia):

"To determine if a media file will open using MCI try opening the
file in Microsoft Media Player (not Windows Media Player).  If the
file opens in Microsoft Media Player it should open in Revolution as
well.  To launch Microsoft Media Player click on Start->Run.  On
Windows NT4, 2000, XP, etc. type "mplay32.exe" and click "OK".  On
Windows 98, ME, etc. type "mplayer.exe".  This will launch the
application."

Microsoft Media Player uses MCI so it is a good program to test files
with.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Multimedia