add menu-background vanishes

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Sep 22 22:04:57 EDT 2005

J. Landman Gay wrote:
>> Don't add the menu group to the regular background group - trust me,
>> much misery.
>
> What happens? Just curious, I've never tried it.

Once you turn off the editMenus the bottom of the menu group is used to
determine where the stack's crop-and-scroll takes place to hide the
menubar on Mac OS.

The engine apparently presumes the menu group will always be a separate
group, so if the menu group is inside another group and that enclosing
group fills the card, the bottom of that enclosing group is the bounds
for the crop-and-scroll and so the card is reduced to just the title bar.

This can only be done by explicit user actions and is easily avoidable,
but for completeness should probably be BZ'd anyway, with perhaps a
caveat added to the docs not to do that.

It seems reasonable to me that a person would attempt to put a menu
group within a background group of an imported HC stack to automatically
have their menu group on all cards without having to do a "place" on
each.  I believe that's what Paul was doing at the time, and to prevent
others from walking down the same confusing road a little footnote in
the docs would help.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal