Tiger breaks hyperCard?

Ken Norris pixelbird at interisland.net
Thu Sep 22 12:52:13 EDT 2005

Hello Pierre, Charles, et al,

> Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 19:57:08 +0200
> From: Pierre Sahores <psahores at easynet.fr>
> Subject: Re: Tiger breaks hyperCard?
>

> Hi,
>
> HC 2.4.1 is still working as expected under Tiger 10.4.2 / Classic /
> PWB G4 there.
>
> Best,
>
> Le 21 sept. 05 à 18:00, Charles Hartman a écrit :
>
>> Well, I think the point is that _Classic_ is on the verge of not
>> being supported any more.

As to the last comment from Charles, according to Apple VP Phil
Schiller, I'd say that there is probably some truth to that, but it's
not so imminent. However, I wouldn't expect Classic to be upgraded any
more than it is right now, if that's what is meant by "supported".

I.e., any G4 or even G5 system running OSX will probably continue to
support Classic as it is, but OS X86 systems which will run on the
Intel-based lowend Macs (but may include both iB's and PB's because PPC
has not come up with G5 chips for them) coming out next year --
probably not.

IOW, if you buy a PPC-based machine, you should be good to go running
Classic until Apple's entire line switches to Intel-based, and then
after that, until you decide to buy one. Could easily be 5 years for
many of us.

Note: HyperCard is the one-and-only software item I run in Classic
today. I use its Color Tools because, albeit it lacks some features,
it's still has the fastest, most intuitive paint tools, for cranking
out graphical artwork parts, on the planet.

All the best,
Ken N.