AppleScript - Silent Running?

Bruce Robertson bfr at nwlink.com
Wed Sep 21 21:15:26 EDT 2005

> I don't have FMkr, so cannot test, but will the database respond and run if
> it is 'minimized' on the dock?  hidden dock?
> -layouts will still function, even if the window is 10x10 pixels
> -not sure about hidden databases running FMkr scripts
> -paste and image that looks like the desktop, so when it comes forward, the
> user can really tell it it FMkr.

Just did a few simple tests, yes it can be scripted while minimized. There
were a few things I had to do when scripting a hidden window that I do not
have to do when scripting a minimized window, so this looks like a good
technique.

> I used to use FMkr to export data called by Applescripts, but user interface
> was no concern since this was a server.

Doubtful. There is no way to get data from FileMaker Server, assuming  you
are talking about days before Filemaker 7. Maybe you're just talking about
Filemaker client with nobody operating it.

> Does the FMkr database have to be on the same Mac?  Being frontmost will not
> be an issue in that case.

That is probably doable.