Text to speech engines for Windows

Bob Earp rjearp at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 15 12:33:25 EDT 2005

What's the best English text to speech engine for Windows?  I see there are
ones from Microsoft, WinSpeech, Lernout & Hauspie, AT&T, and maybe others.

Are there others for Spanish, Portuguese and French ?

Also, through searching I see references to SAPI 4.0, SAPI 5.0 and SAPI 5.1
(I assume) standards for these engines.  Are there any problems associated
with a particular version and a release of Windows ?

Tnx, Bob...

Bob Earp - White Rock, BC

Take charge with a pop-up guard built on patented Microsoft® SmartScreen
Technology
first two months FREE*.