Unicode Font Woes

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Tue Sep 13 21:51:45 EDT 2005

OK I'll look at these... I think in the interests of helping RunRev,
we all need to be aware of an underlying cross plaftorm issue of
which I am informed onl yesterday as follows by  professor in
Switzerland who is helping me on this matter. which is: many fonts
will "apparently" work on the Mac, but are actually meant only to be
properly rendered with the Windows Uniscribe, but not the Mac ATSUI
engine... to wit:

   Dr. Kalyanasundaram writes:

"But there is a practical problem here. Most of the GIST Tamil Unicode
fonts distributed free are meant for use on Windows PCs. Rendering of
Tamil glyphs in Unicode is done differently in Windows (use a rendering
enginecalled UNISCRIBE) as compared to Apple Mac (Mac uses ATSUI
search engine to deal with Open Truetype fonts for Unicode.

Thus for use on Mac OS X platform, Open TTF fonts of Windows are to
be "repacked" for use under ATSUI engine. Without this tinkering and
repacking, composite glyphs of Tamil are not displayed correctly -
you see only a linear rendering, as the way in which Unicode text is
saved in the file (mei followed by modifier signs and not the composite
glyph themselves). On Mac, like CDAC fonts GSUB tables that are in
the font file are
not used and you will see linear mode display."

This may be the issue with bug 2489 where the problem is composite
character modifiers--additional "matras" we call them in Indic
languages... small extra bits and pieces that are hooked onto regular
characters... i.e. there is *nothing* Run rev can do to fix this...
if the user has, unwittingly pulled Windows OpenType font onto his
Mac, thinking that that is should work just fine. (As I myself have
just done...)

Of course, Rev should render the font as other mac apps do... albeit
with those extra matras ("Diacriticals") not being proper placed
under ATSUI...

I'm off to FontLab to import and re-export some of these and see what
happens.

Sivakatirswami