Stack's Name Being Changed When Used as CGI

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Sep 13 12:12:35 EDT 2005

Gregory Lypny wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
>     I'm using a stack as a CGI.  It's my first try and has been  going
> well so far.  I have the stack open when I'm writing CGI  handlers, and
> I test those CGIs at the same time by submitting forms  to be processed
> from my web browser.  Naturally, this leads to some  anomalies in that a
> CGI handler may save the stack, but the results  are obviously not
> visible to me in the instance of the stack I'm  actually editing.  When
> I then try to save the stack I'm working on,  that is, after submitting
> a test web form, I sometimes get an error  from Revolution telling me
> that it can't access the stack in  question.  The reason for this
> appears to be that a tilde has been  appended to the stack's name, so
> that myCGIStack.rev has become  myCGIStack.rev~.  I just want to confirm
> that this is the result of  me working on the open stack at the same
> time that web calls are  being made and not some sort of bug.  Can
> anyone confirm this?

The stackName~ file is a copy of your stack file made as an automatic
backup during saving.  Normally it's deleted as soon as a save is safely
completed, but if a save was interrupted the file is there as a backup
(another great feature of stackfiles that make them great for storing
user data).

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal