Problems with streaming audio

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Sun Sep 11 21:35:20 EDT 2005

On Sep 11, 2005, at 9:54 AM, Howard Bornstein wrote:
> 1) I want to use my own controls to start and stop the player, rather
> than use the Quicktime controller. At first this worked fine. For some
> reason now it's not working at all. If I use the command <start player
> "stream"> the player says "connecting" but never does. However, if I
> click the start button on the controller, it connects fine. Why
> doesn't the start command work? (Is this related to bug 1239?)

Set the playRate to 1 rather than using <start player>.  I'm not sure
what <start player> is doing under the hood but it has problems with
streaming movies.  By setting the playRate you are directly accessing
a QuickTime property and everything works as it is supposed to.

> 2) In order to determine if the server is down, I need to tell if the
> player is receiving an audio stream. I've been using the currenttime
> to test this. I check to see if the currenttime changes over a 1
> second interval. If it's the same, I assume the server has stopped.
> Sometimes, however, audio will stop playing while the currenttime goes
> on its merry way. I need a *reliable* way to tell if the player is
> receiving data from the stream. Does anyone have a suggestion for
> this?
>
> 3) Finally, the player seems to generate certain messages right in the
> player bar--things like "connecting", "negotiating", "connection
> failed", etc. Is there a way I can intercept these messages in Rev?

There isn't a way to get this information about a movie in Revolution
right now.  Something like this could be added to the EnhancedQT
external though.  It is just a matter of adding a couple of
additional if statements to a function that already exists.  I think
that adding this would actually solve issues 2 and 3.  I just browsed
the docs and it seams that there is a status string that tells you
the streaming status and also one that reports errors.  Perhaps an
error is reported when the streaming server goes down.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Multimedia
trevor at mangomultimedia.com