No volumes in Linux?

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Wed Sep 7 12:51:12 EDT 2005

On 9/7/05 11:43 AM, "Alex Tweedly" <alex at tweedly.net> wrote:

> Bob Warren wrote:
>
>> According to the Help, and also in practice, "the volumes" for discovering
>> what physical drives or logical partitions a computer has "..... always
>> returns empty on Unix systems". Perhaps I am a bit dim, but could someone
>> tell me why?
>>

> On Windows, full file names have a distinct part which can be recognized
> as the volume - e.g.
> A:\myfile.txt
> C:\Our Documents\Alex\RunRev\play.rev
> The "A:" and the "C:" are the "volume" part. For example, on my system,
>      put the volumes
> gives me

>> C:
>> D:
>> E:
>> F:
>> Z:
>

> On Mac there is (presumably) something similar.

Yes, Actually you get a volume for each mounted partition or drive on your
system. If there's only one, it's path is like "/documents/mydoc.txt", but
if there's more than one, you need to add "/Volumes/<volname>" before the
path, as in:

  /Volumes/Shuttle/documents/mydoc.txt

But "the volumes" returns just the names of the mounted partitions/drives.
(in my case "Stormwinds" and "Shuttle").

> On Unix the form of a file name is simply
> /top/next/another/path/name/part.txt
> i.e. there is no part which can be uniquely recognized as a "volume".

I guess Unix does something unique with the different partitions/drives that
are accessible.

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/