No volumes in Linux?

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Wed Sep 7 12:43:48 EDT 2005

Bob Warren wrote:

>According to the Help, and also in practice, "the volumes" for discovering
>what physical drives or logical partitions a computer has "..... always
>returns empty on Unix systems". Perhaps I am a bit dim, but could someone
>tell me why?

On Windows, full file names have a distinct part which can be recognized
as the volume - e.g.
A:\myfile.txt
C:\Our Documents\Alex\RunRev\play.rev
The "A:" and the "C:" are the "volume" part. For example, on my system,
     put the volumes
gives me

> C:
> D:
> E:
> F:
> Z:

On Mac there is (presumably) something similar.

On Unix the form of a file name is simply
/top/next/another/path/name/part.txt
i.e. there is no part which can be uniquely recognized as a "volume".